Prayer: Why Should We Pray?
Fr. Michael Sliney, LC offers several reasons why we need to pray on a regular basis.
by Fr. Michael Sliney, LC | Source: Catholic.net
We know that prayer is speaking with God, but still we often do not feel the need to pray. Here are a few reasons that prayer is essential in our daily lives. Of course these are not the only reasons, but they are a few important ones!
1. Our soul needs to breathe! “Today, however,…the ancient sources are still flowing freshly and abundantly: Sacred Scripture as the vein of truth; the sacraments of the Church flowing with the power of Christ's presence; prayer, through which the soul can breathe the fresh oxygen of God’s grace.” (Pope John Paul II, Homily, June 19, 1998).
2. It give us the wisdom to know God’s Will and the strength to follow it. “By prayer we can discern "what is the will of God" and obtain the endurance to do it. Jesus teaches us that one enters the kingdom of heaven not by speaking words, but by doing "the will of my Father in heaven." (Catechism of the Catholic Church, #2826)
3. It offers protection from the devil and temptation. “If I meditate, I am as it were clothed in steel armor, and impervious to the shafts of the enemy. Without mental prayer, I shall surely be their target.” (Dom Chattard, The Soul of the Apostolate, p. 67)
4. It will make our apostolic activity fruitful; for without him we can do nothing (Jn 15: 5). “Practical activity will always be insufficient, unless it visibly expresses a love for man, a love nourished by an encounter with Christ.” (Pope Benedict XVI, God is Love, n. 34)
5. The Eucharist transforms us and helps us to become more Christ-like: “The Body and Blood of Christ, His Soul and Divinity transform us into other Christs, infusing into us his spirit, his sentiments and his virtues.” (A. Tanquerey, The Spiritual Life, n. 253)
6. Prayer helps us to know Christ as our friend, brother, Lord and King: You will never know and love Christ in a personal and intimate way if you do not spend quality time in prayer on a daily basis.
Email Fr. Michael at email@example.com!
Join the new media evangelization. Your tax-deductible gift allows Catholic.net to build a culture of life in our nation and throughout the world. Please help us promote the Church's new evangelization by donating to Catholic.net right now. God bless you for your generosity.