Coma Comeback

And who says that prayer is useless?
by Reuben Nuxoll, LC | Source:

Alex’s eye-injury was turning into a nightmare. First the injury had become infected, and then the infection spread to his brain and spinal cord and poisoned his entire body. At day twenty-seven in the intensive care unit, the situation looked hopeless for the fun-loving thirteen-year-old from Florida. He had not responded for five days. He was as good as dead.

When the doctors called his parents to break this news on January 30th, his parents made two decisions.

The first was to send messages asking family and friends to pray more intensely. Father Booth, the parish priest at San Juan del Rio, was offering Masses for Alex, and in Rome, Italy, another priest was starting a novena of Masses. Family, friends and seminarians were all spreading the word and praying for the unfortunate teen.

If only our Lord would take Alex in the shadow of his wings. If only Alex could be a witness of God’s love for each one of us. But whatever he should want…

The second was to decide what to do for Alex. He was beyond hope – no, technically, beyond life. David and Kim decided to wait for two more days and, if nothing happened, to remove their son’s breathing machine and let God take him. There was nothing more they could do.

The next day, Father Booth came and visited Alex. Already the priest in Rome was one day into his novena of Masses for Alex, and scores of seminarians and friends were offering their daily prayers for him.

Then it happened. Alex suddenly started responding to voices. Alex was coming out of his coma! By the next morning, the day he was to be taken off the machines, he had opened his eyes. He could give a thumbs-up and smile back at you when you spoke to him. It was unbelievable, impossible – it was a miracle!

It wasn’t over yet, though. The poisoning was still there, and so were other serious problems. David sent another email requesting further prayers.


Four and a half months and nine surgeries later, Alex left the hospital. He had undergone five brain operations, three kidney stone operations, and an eye surgery.

On August 1st, his mom brought him back to the third floor of the hospital to see where he had lain for half a year. Two of his doctors chanced to meet him; they couldn’t believe how he looked. They said it was a miracle.

Today, just a couple months later, that miracle – Alex – lives on, the miracle of God’s love for us, the miracle worked by a God who listens to our prayers, the miracle of joy and life.

-From a personal testimony

Click Here to Donate Now!

Join the new media evangelization. Your tax-deductible gift allows to build a culture of life in our nation and throughout the world. Please help us promote the Church's new evangelization by donating to right now. God bless you for your generosity.




Post a Comment
Write a comment on this article

Email required (will not be published)
required Country

Most Popular